Watch here for information related particularly to your class and level.
Some of you definitely need to improve your spelling. Here are some websites that can help.
For grammar and vocabulary try this page
And here is a great page for practising your grammar. Try the irregular verb quizzes first as I will be including this on your next grammar quiz.
If you need to work more on present perfect tense, this looks like a good website.
Assess your own vocabulary:
These short on-line tests will inform you and your teacher of your vocabulary knowledge. It is important in these tests NOT to click ”reset test”.
When you are finished, click ”score”. Please write your scores for the 5 tests on the sheet your teacher gives you after each test. This should not take more than 30 minutes.
1. Go to http://www.lextutor.ca/tests/levels/recognition/1k/test_1.html and take the test. Record your score when you are done.
2. Go to http://www.lextutor.ca/tests/levels/recognition/2_10k/ and take the tests for Level 2000, Level 3000, Level 5000 and the University Word List. Record your scores when you have completed the four tests. When you are finished, please give your assessment sheet to Les.
Past vs. Present Perfect Review Worksheet Answers
- had moved/ have lived
- had lived
- has lived
- had studied
- have studied
- had worked
- has worked
- had had
- have had
- have liked
Go to this page to see Thursday’s presentation
Here is the type of outline I would like you to use in AP3. While this one is for a process essay, it can easily be modified for other essay types. You can expand the points depending on your essay. Remember, except for your hook, thesis and topic sentences, your outline can be in point form.
And here are the answers for the past perfect and past perfect progressive worksheet we did in class.
Finally, here are some sample hooks and theses. Can you classify the hooks?
July 17, 2012 Assignments
1. Writing assignment due on Monday — an easy 10 marks
You are to write a descriptive paragraph that contains 10 adjective clauses (5 with subject relative pronouns and 5 with object relative pronouns). Each correct structure gets a mark. Please show me your controlling idea by Thursday.
2. Writing assignment due on Thursday — 10 marks — Process Essay Draft 1
Brainstorming & Notes — 2 marks; Outline — 3 marks; Essay (Draft 1) — 5 marks
July 18, 2012
Homework for tomorrow
- Study for tomorrow’s quiz — grammar Unit 14 and some questions about process essays, which I’ve taught.
- Your process essay brainstorming and outline should be finished and much (50%+) of your written draft 1. I will consult with you in computer lab tomorrow while you type it. It is due by 12:30 tomorrow, when I will begin to mark it.
- Verb Tense Review Worksheet (PART 1 Post-Test) Do Exercises 3-6
- Reading/Vocabulary Worksheet from today (Read and do p.53)
- Bring your main idea/thesis for your ‘Adjective Clauses’ paragraph, which is due on Monday.
- Adjective Clauses paragraph. (If you organize your writing, it will be easier. 5 object adjective clauses and 5 subject adjective clauses = 10 marks.)
- Grammar — Read and do Unit 21 pp. 340-346
- Reading — Read and do in R to W pp. 116-121