The Japanese program at VIU will again need Japanese language speakers who can help students in the first year Japanese language courses as volunteers. In the past years, many international students took this opportunity and enjoyed meeting Canadians and other international students who are interested in the Japanese language and culture. If you are interested in teaching Japanese to non-native speakers in the future, this would be a great opportunity to have a first-hand experience.
The program will need the following types of volunteers for the fall semester classes:
- Classroom Helpers
Volunteers who can come to the first year classes on a regular basis and help students to practice Japanese in pair/group activities. The schedules are as follows (You can attend only one class a week or more classes depending on your preference):
- JAPA 101 Section 1: Mondays and Wednesdays 14:30 to 16:00
- JAPA 101 Section 2: Tuesdays and Thursdays 14:30 to 16:00
- Japanese Practice Partners
Volunteers who can meet students who request practice partners and help them to practice Japanese outside the classes.
If you are fluent in Japanese (non-Japanese students are also welcomed!) and are interested in above opportunities, please send an e-mail message directly to VIU Japanese Program at Kimi.Furuta@viu.ca, including the following information.
- Your Name
- Which type of volunteers you wish to participate
- If you wish to attend the class: which class you wish to attend (e.g., Tuesday, 14:30 to 16:00)
- If you wish to become a practice partner: all of your times that you are free to meet the student (e.g., Mondays & Wednesdays, 1:00 to 4:00)
For more information or inquiry about any of the above opportunities, please contact the program directly at the above e-mail address.