Our purpose for our days at Thetis Island is to set the foundation for our semester together.
Our goal is to provide our students with the opportunity to get to know each other in their pods and across cohorts. Our objectives are as follows:
- to develop a protocol regarding how we are going to ‘be’ with each other
- to develop a sense of the questions and issues nested in ur three areas – social justice, governance, and inclusion – as they pertain to us as teachers
- to experience learning in nature, outside of the confines of traditional classrooms
- to have fun together
What to bring:
- your own bedding, ideally a sleeping bag, pillow, a sheet for the mattress if you want, and your own towel. We will be staying in cabins that house about 8 people each.
- clothing weather appropriate, bathing suit, good walking shoes, bring warmer clothing for the evening. Bring a bathing suit!
- materials to take notes
- Musical instruments or games if wanted
- An idea or area where you would be willing to lead a small group (e.g. Discussion, activity, outdoor activity, music, story telling, art, drama, poetry, etc.). You will have an opportunity to lead in one of these areas together with other students.
* Please note that Pioneer Pacific is a no alcohol, no smoking, no drugs zone. Out of respect for our hosts, we request that you refrain from bringing any of these items with you.
We will organize carpools to get to Thetis and Pioneer Pacific Camp during the first day of classes. You will have a choice to walk to camp (about 45 minutes) or to get a ride by the camp van. Please note that the field trip fee does not include transportation.
Please pick up a field trip payment form from the Education Office, or print from ED17-005 Thetis Island_payment slip_Fall 2017, and go to the Cashiers office to pay. Cost will be 65.00. Travel expenses are separate. There are no required book costs in order to help you with this expense.
8:10 – Meet at Chemainus Ferry Terminal. You are responsible for purchasing your own ferry ticket. The fee will cover your return trip as well. You can get together with other students and buy an experience card to make it cheaper.
8:40 – Ferry leaves Chemainus
9:10 – Ferry arrives at Thetis: you can walk to camp or you can get a ride with the camp van (luggage will be transported for us by the camp truck)
9:40 – 10:00 Check in at Pioneer, getting oriented with the location and where we’ll be staying
10:30 – Welcome and overview of our days together
11:00 – PODS orientation photo activity
12:00 – Lunch
1:00 – Semester Rotation #1
2:15 – Leave to the Portal
3:00 – 5:30 Visit to The Portal (3:00 – 4:00 Life Example of a Sustainability Project; 4:00 – 5:30 CAP Introduction)
5:30 – Walk/Ride and talk: Discuss CAP ideas in POD groups
6:15 – Dinner
7:45 – Marshmallow Challenge
8:45 – Coffee House
10:30 – Lights out (but still chatter!)
8:15 – Breakfast
9:00 – Semester Rotation #2
10:15 – Semester Rotation #3
11:30 – Semester Rotation #4
12:45 – Lunch
1:30 – Clean up and Recreation Time
2:30 – Medicine Wheel with Auntie Stella
3:30 – Wrap up
3:45- Leave Camp
4:30 – Ferry to Chemainus