Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program

Thinking about funding your graduate school program? Read on…

This will be of particular interest to 4th year and post-degree students as well as those already enrolled in a master’s program with a significant research component. Eligible students must have achieved a first class average (A-, 3.67/4.33) in each of the last two years of completed study (FTE). While VIU has an award allocation of 3 (2 social sciences; 1 natural sciences), student can apply to up to 5 institutions with an allocation.

The competition for Canada Graduate Scholarship Masters’ (CGS-M) research training awards $17,500 for all topics of research at the master’s level. The Federal agencies supporting these awards are:

• NSERC – Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada
  • SSHRC – Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada
  • CIHR – Canadian Institutes of Health Research

The objective of this funding program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies.

The competition is open to prospective masters students and masters students who started their program in 2016 and will have at least 12 months of study remaining in their program as of May 1, 2017.

To be eligible to apply, you must:

• be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to an eligible master’s program at a Canadian institution with a CGS-M allocation;
  • have completed, as of December 31, 2016, between zero and 12 months of full-time studies in the master’s program for which you are requesting funding;
  • have achieved a first-class average in each of the last two years of study [at VIU that’s a minimum “A-“, or 3.67/4.33].

Vancouver Island University has been provided a quota of awards from NSERC and SSHRC (VIU does not currently have a CIHR quota). VIU holds the competition to determine which VIU students will receive these awards. The award allocations are:

Funding Agency Research Type VIU’s Award Allocation
NSERC natural science and engineering 1
SSHRC social science and humanities 2

Application deadline: December 1, 2016

The application form and full instructions can be found on the funding program webpage. Also check the VIU website for information specific to VIU’s competition.

If you still have questions, contact Shelley Lumsden, Research Services Manager