There is a new way to set up quiz accommodations in VIULearn. Previously, student accommodations had to be set for each quiz individually using the Special Access feature. While Special Access isn’t going anywhere, a new Accommodations option allows you to set quiz timing and right-click behaviour for a student at the course level eliminating the need to do this for each quiz individually.
Set Up Accommodations
- Go to the Classlist tool in VIULearn (Communication > Classlist)
- Click the arrow beside the name of the student you want to set accommodations for
- Choose Edit Accommodations from the context menu
- Under timing, you can choose to modify the allowed time either by multiplying it (1.5 time, for example) or adding a set number of minutes that the student will receive as extra time on top of the time allowed in the quiz settings.
- Under Controls, you can check the box to always allow right click for students who may rely on speech-to-text technology.
- Once you have adjusted the settings, click Save
If you ever need to adjust this student’s settings for a single quiz, you can still use Special Access to enter one-time exceptions. If a student has both an Accommodation setting and a special access setting on a quiz, Special Access will take precedence over the course-wide Accommodation setting. If you give a student who has an Accommodation setting Special Access, you will see a warning pop-up letting you know what settings are being replaced.
If you have any questions about this new feature or anything else in VIULearn, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.