We offer live webinars to introduce students to the learning technologies available at VIU, especially our online course platform VIULearn. Go to our Events Calendar to view the schedule and register for a live orientation webinar! Otherwise,
- Are you unable to attend one of our live Student Technology Orientation webinars but still want to see what tools are available & how to get support?
- Are you already familiar with these tools but want to refresh your memory on your own time?
Not to worry – we recorded the orientation for you! You can watch it whenever is convenient & as many times as you’d like. Please note: Current video is from 2022. It will be updated when a new orientation has been recorded.
Do you still have questions?
- Look below for responses to some common questions about VIU learning technologies, and to find links to related resources
- To attend a live webinar orientation (with opportunities to ask questions), go to our Events Calendar to choose a date
What does CIEL (The Centre for Innovation and Excellence in Learning) support?
We support VIU students with learning technologies, including VIULearn, VIUTube, VIUBlogs (WordPress) and Zoom.
Contact CIEL by email (LearnSupport@viu.ca) or phone (1-250-740-6179) for support with these tools.
How do I access VIULearn, VIUTube, and VIUBlogs?
Step 1: Create your VIU Computer Account Password
You use your VIU Computer Account password to login VIULearn, VIUTube, and VIUBlogs.
This page on the IT department’s website has steps to guide you through creating your account. If you have any difficulty creating your account, contact the VIU IT Helpdesk:
- by email at StudentTechHelp@viu.ca
- through the Student Tech Help Chat on the IT website
- or call 1-250-740-6300 Monday to Friday, 8:00AM – 4:30PM
Step 2: Login
- Go to https://learn.viu.ca
- Click Go to VIULearn to access VIULearn or VIUTube / Click Go to VIUBlogs to access that tool
- Use your Student Number as your username & your VIU Computer Account password to login
- (VIUTube only) Once you are logged in to VIULearn, click VIUTube at the top of the page to access that tool
Watch this video for a visual demonstration of logging in to VIULearn:
How can I prepare to use learning technologies at VIU?
Register for the self-paced VIULearn Student Orientation 2023-2024 course in VIULearn
Your instructors may use VIULearn for course content and activities. This orientation course is self-paced, and will show you how to navigate VIULearn to view content, adjust your settings, & complete activities. Follow the steps on this page to register for the VIULearn Student Orientation 2023-2024 course.
Download the Zoom application
Your instructors may use Zoom for class meetings. For the best experience, download the application for your phone, computer and/or tablet.
How can I access academic support or contact other support departments?
Visit VIU’s Learning Matters site to access learning resources, and to find contact information for other support areas at VIU.
Why do I see information about VIU policies instead of my courses when I login to VIULearn?
Starting in Spring 2021, you will see a terms and conditions page when you login to VIULearn for the first time, or whenever terms and conditions are updated. Terms and Conditions were updated Summer 2023 so you may see this page even if you are a returning student.
You must accept the terms and conditions to access your My Home page & your VIULearn courses. Once you accept them, you will not see this page again until the policies change or a new semester has started.
Watch this video for more information:
Changes to VIULearn Quizzes
VIULearn Quizzes have new default behaviours this fall. Watch out for these differences, especially if you are a returning student:
- Quizzes with an enforced time limit now auto-submit at the end of the allowed time
- New Timer and Pop-up Reminders to help you track your time
- You can view quiz instructions from inside the quiz
Useful links & resources:
- Contact CIEL for support with VIULearn, VIUTube, and VIUBlogs.
Open Monday-Friday 9am-4pm barring stat holidays & other university closure dates.
- Email: LearnSupport@viu.ca
- Phone: 250-740-6179
- Toll-free phone: 1-888-920-2221 extension 6179
- CIEL Student Support Resources for VIULearn, VIUTube, and VIUBlogs
- Contact the IT department for support with other VIU technologies.
Open Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm barring stat holidays & other university closure dates.
- Create/reset your student computer account password
- Access VIULearn, VIUTube, and VIUBlogs
- Download the Zoom app
- Zoom support pages
- Direct link to VIUBlogs