Last of the Clay – Final Pieces

With the last bit I had of my clay for semester, I wanted to create a couple of pieces that I could test what I have been developing over the semester. I created two larger pieces, one which I could test the silks-screen method on and experiment with imagery and glaze application, and one to test two of the The glaze mixtures I have been working with, as well as one smaller piece for silk-screen testing.

I silk-screen printed a repeated bear and cedar tree pattern around one of the larger bowls, and then experimented with slip and glaze drips onto the piece. I felt that it looked too graphic and untouched without the additional drips and scraping. I loosened up on this piece, and though I’m not sure I’d try to attain the same effects again in the majority of my work, I was glad to test.

The curved bowl with the thicker drips on it are the result of the last of my West Coast Sea Foam glaze that I developed in the semester, as well as the attempts to properly use the purple underglaze I had purchased. The purple underglaze was a challenge to apply correctly to attain the desired outcome – it would more often come out as a bluer colour, with purple highlights. Getting the proper consistency was key, but was harder said than done. For this piece,  I wanted to attain a bit of a combination of both the purple and the blue that the underglaze could produce. Higher on the piece some of the purple can be seen, and the blue is more prominent where it drips down and interacts with the West Coast Sea Foam.

 

Ceramic Tiles – Finishing

After firing the test tiles with a clear glaze, I wanted them to still serve a further purpose past the testing of the silks-screen process. I found some scrap pieces of plywood, sanded them, and stained them with a dark finish. I then super-glued the ceramic tiles to the back, testing that it supplied a good adhesion for hanging.

I like to use wood and elements from nature in my spray-paint and printmaking processes and pieces, and I felt that they complimented the tiles well. They add contrast with the dark colour of the stain and horizontal orientation that also compliments the more vertical orientation of the pieces.

As this is a mixed media process of creating imagery,  I find it fitting that there is a mixed media combination in the presenting and finishing of the pieces. This process can further be refined with more aesthetically prepared tiles and printing since the process has now been tested and familiarized.