- Name of the game: Dance Dance Revolution
- Game genre: Rhythm Game
- Duration of play: 2 hours
- Platform Played: PlayStation 1
- Developers/Producers: Konami
- Community/intended audience: Everyone
For this last week, I was cleaning my room and found my old dance pad in my closet, so I decided to dig out my PlayStation 1 and play Dance Dance Revolution. I loved playing this game so much when I was a kid, so digging my PlayStation and DDR made me feel really nostalgic. Dance Dance Revolution is made by Konami in 2001. It is a Rhythm type game where you use a dance pad as a controller. There are arrows that you need to follow on the screen, and you have to step on the corresponding arrow direction on the dance pad. The game has 27 songs to choose from, and difficulties namely: light, normal and hardcore.
Before starting to play the game, I was feeling nostalgic and happy. I used to play this a lot when I was a kid, and playing this game today, made me revisit/reimagine my childhood again. I used to play this in the arcade, and join small tournaments/battle other players. I love retro stuff, so this made me feel really excited and hyped-up. I asked my brother to play it with me since he likes to move around/dance (he plays the Just Dance game with me all the time).
- When I first started the game, my brother and I were so excited to play this game. We used to play this game a lot when we were back in the Philippines, and we play this game as our past time. So it gave us nostalgic feelings about the game.
- While playing the game, my brother and I were really competitive with each other. We were trying to beat each other and try to get a perfect score as much as we can. I was really having fun with my brother; we are laughing so much and enjoying ourselves (this made me think of the time when we use to hang out and play a lot of games together, unlike now where we don’t play as much together because he has his own different games/world). I was really happy to be able to play and enjoy playing with my brother again.
- After 2-ish hours, we had to stop playing the game, because all of the intense movements are getting to me, I had to stop because I was starting to breathe heavily. It was a bummer, but I enjoyed the overall gameplay. It made me feel happy to play this game again. I gave me nostalgic feelings of being back in the Philippines, and being able to play and have fun with my brother. When I get better, I will definitely play this again.
Overall, choosing to play this game as my last gameplay for this class. It gave me a sense of nostalgia and a feeling of happiness after playing this game. Although my brother and I had to stop playing because I had shortness of breathing, I did enjoy playing with him, we had so much fun (we were laughing the whole time we were playing); it also made me think about trying to convince him to play with me more, and also try to do more things like this with him (because I am missing the old days where we used to hang out and play together).
Note: I really enjoyed this class and this blog. Reflecting on the games I have played this semester made me think more about how the game affects me (how it affects my mood, attitude, etc). Although the class is online, and I didn’t really get to know my classmates, I enjoyed all the aspects of this class (readings, assignments, etc). I would definitely recommend this class to my friends who are interested in video games. 🙂
Konami. Dance Dance Revolution. Konami, 2001. PlayStation. Video Game.
React. “Adults Play Dance Dance Revolution (Adults React: Retro Gaming)”. Online Video Clip. Youtube, 12 JUL 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJkKCC1I2Qc&t=466s.