Many students have a passion and interest in local food and food security. If this is you, check out this job posting!
Dig in – to food on campus!
Are you excited about local, sustainable food? Interested in hands-on experiential learning? Interested in bringing together students, faculty, administrators, chefs, distributors, and community organizations? This is your chance to join the national movement that is transforming food and education on campuses across Canada.
We are looking for a VIU student to help coordinate the Campus Food Movement in Nanaimo from October 2013 to April 2014. The selected student will join two VIU student coordinators and a national network of peer coordinators, receive an honorarium, resources for every step of the way, and one-on-one staff support from an experienced youth leader in the food movement.
- Plan and coordinate engagement events on campus
- Facilitate Applied Student Research Opportunities
- Coordinate community activities, including:
- Farmer’s Market pilot project on the VIU campus
- Trick or Eat campaign
- Student engagement/awareness events in collaboration with Nanaimo FoodShare
- Host multi-stakeholder meetings and attend weekly coordinator meetings
- Participate and share with the national network of the Campus Food Systems Project
- Be expected to work 4-10 hours per week
- Knowledge of food systems and issues around food (indicate relevant coursework)
- Excellent interpersonal, self-management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication, group work and leadership skills
- Ability to take initiative and engage in active learning
- Openness to new perspectives and desire to do solutions-focused work with a diverse group of stakeholders
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (B average)
To apply for this honorarium position, please send your resume and cover letter to viu(at)studentfood.ca. Applications are due on October 17th, 2013.